Friday, August 11, 2006

Day 13: Dam fun in Munnar

Aug 11

We woke up at 7:30 and went for breakfast. We have escaped the dreaded ‘Delhi Belly’ but we are getting the ‘Buffet Belly.’ Neither Zab and I have gotten sick yet for all those wondering. We have been spared from the runs so far. We are very thankful for this.

We then went to use the internet. We had not been able to check our emails or post the blogs for awhile. I was very curious to see if there was any news about my sister. Her due date was the 5th and so I have been waiting to anxiously to hear if I am a new uncle or not. Janelle finally had her baby! I did a blog post right after I found out. I am so happy that everything went well. I am sad that I am not there to see her, but thanks to technology, I am able to see pictures.

I posted the two blogs I wrote last night and then we headed off for the day at 9:30. We drove through the beautiful tea gardens down to Mattupetty Dam. We walked along it. It was pretty neat. The plan had been for us to take speed boats around the lake, but we both decided we did not want to spend the money. We have been on boats before, and today it was raining and cold. It was a beautiful area to walk around anyways. It actually reminded us a lot of the foothills in Canada. We drove along the lake until we got to a place called Echo Point. Why is it called this you may or may not have asked. When we went to the bottom of the path along side the lake, we heard people yelling across it, and then an amazingly loud and clear echo could be heard. Zab and I had a lot of fun yelling things at each other. It was fun. Along the lake there were vendors selling things, so I bought some local tea and homemade chocolate. Then we had a fresh cut pineapple. I am never going to get sick of these. I think I have pineapple every day.

We drove down into Munnar and went to a spice shop. Here we were able to buy some local spices. Mmmm, Indian pepper!

We drove back to the Resort and just layed around and relaxed for the afternoon. We went to the restaurant for tea time and ordered some more mint tea and the best Samosa I have ever had.

I then came to the computer to get caught up on the blog. I can’t believe that I am actually caught up on the posts. I hope you are all enjoying hearing about our trip. Sorry that the posts are so long. This is serving as a journal for Zab and I, and I also know that there are a few people who want to hear a detailed version of the trip. For all the rest of you, this is a good time to practice your skim reading techniques.

The computer here is on slow dial-up, and the power keeps cutting out, so we are not able to upload our images onto the flickr site. There are a lot of pictures coming as soon as we can upload them. Sorry to keep you in suspense. There are some great pictures I wish I could share with you all right now.

I am now going to get Zab so we can eat supper and then have a relaxing evening before bed. It will be another long day of driving tomorrow.

No comments: